Saturday, October 20, 2012

Bracelets for Larger Hands and Wrists: Advice that could come in Handy!


Being a drummer, I have built up all sorts of fabulous muscles in my hands which help me play better… however, they also prevent me from slipping any sort of solid bracelet or bangle onto my wrist without dislocating my thumb! Drummer or not, trans-women have (on average) larger hands and wrists than cis-gender women, it’s a fact of life. Larger, bulky bracelets are not only trendy, but also help make hands look smaller by comparison, something we're typically interested in doing. If they’re too tight, you may run the risk of accomplishing just the opposite or, in my case, dislocating your thumb.

I have searched high and low for anywhere that makes larger diameter bangles and have yet to track down any reliable leads… if anyone has an insider scoop, please let me know! So… short of making my own (how hard could it be, right?) and with bangles and solid bracelets so popular nowadays, what options do we have to take their place?

The answer at first glance is: Stretch, Spiral/Coil, Cuffed, Hinged, and Clasped Bracelets. They all solve the problem of getting a bracelet onto your wrist without breaking your hand… so we’re half way there! About half the time for me, just going to these styles is enough to get the look I desire.

Unfortunately, the other half of the time (usually when something is super cute or I’m totally in love with it!) these readily available styles are still too tight around my wrist bones. Ideally, I like to have a bracelet loose enough to slide on my wrist and hang onto my hand a bit if my arm is at my side… not squeezed tightly like a coiling python! … to me, that loose fit is one of those little everyday feminine details I cherish. Luckily, I have a few tricks up my sleeve (sometimes literally haha) to modify easily available bracelets for that little bit of extra length! (These may not work with everything, but can certainly help in many cases)

  • Spiral/Coil Bracelets: Spiral Bracelets are shaped like coils, or springs and despite any embellishments, almost always have a central spring-like wire that runs through the entirety of the coil. The trick here is simple, slowly and gently bend this central wire outwards to increase the diameter of the spiral. Work over the whole length of the coil, flattening out the curve and gradually it will relax, creating a larger bracelet! If you want the coil to stay perfectly even, be sure to bend gradually and slowly. Here's an example of a coiled bracelet I have "stretched" out a bit, it gives that "collection of bangles" appearance but as a single piece:

  • Clasped bracelets: Clasped bracelets use a lobster claw, or other type of clasp to close around the wrist. For these, you can buy jewelry extenders (try a quick search on amazon.com) and then cut the extender to length till its just right for you. This trick also works (perhaps even better) with necklaces. Shown without an extender below, all you need to do is clasp the extender in line with the clasp already on the bracelet and you're good to go!


  • Stretch Bracelets: Stretched bracelets are neat interlocking or patterned pieces repeated with a couple of hidden elastic strands threaded through everything to hold it all together. Cool concept, easy to put on, but typically a little to tight on me. This trick is the most labor intensive of the three, and works best with more inexpensive bracelets ($5-$10 range… think F21 type jewelry). First off, if you see a bracelet you want that is too tight, buy two… yes, I know, it’s twice as expensive, but work with me here, its only going to be $15 or so. You will also need to head to a craft store and buy some stretchy elastic cord that’ll fit through the thread holes in your bracelet. 

    First, as shown above, you want to cut apart one of the bracelets and remove one set of the patterned pieces (or however many you think will make the proper increase in size). Next, take apart the other bracelet and remove the elastics. Lastly (the most time consuming step), re-string the bracelet back together, adding the pieces from the “donor” bracelet in as well. Tie it all off and viola! You have a new, looser fitting elastic bracelet!
Hope these tips make it easier to accessorize your wrists happily!

Share the love! Like us on Facebook!

1 comment:

  1. Ross Simons often has both 7" and 8" versions of bracelets. ( http://www.ross-simons.com). The 8" Versions are excellent and much easier to fit into.

    ReplyDelete