Sunday, August 12, 2012

Playing with Necklines to Shrink Broad Shoulders


One of most common sources of body line anxiety is how to cope with naturally broader, more muscular shoulders and upper arms. While preparing for this post, I realized that my shoulders are not overly broad, however, this in no way negates the need to wear clothing that flatters. As with any body line issues, the more feminine your body is, the more you can “get away with” in terms of styles… in general, a little knowledge goes a long way when it comes to necklines.

Going back to the previous post about body lines, we recall that the shoulder line is drawn horizontally across the widest part of the shoulders. One of the most effective ways of manipulating how this looks is by choosing an appropriate neckline. To better illustrate my points, I’ve ransacked my wardrobe and posed as a model (or guinea pig, but I like model better). I even managed to smile occasionally to keep things lively! Let’s go ahead and take a look at some of the most common necklines…

1. Crew Neck – Perhaps the simplest of all, often found on those ever so witty graphic tees that are adored by the hipster generation.



As you can see, there is no real magic happening here… you basically end up looking pretty much how you started. Good as a layer, but not generally as a stand-alone top. If you have petite shoulders/upper body, go ahead and rock that clever-quipping-Bill-Murray crew neck… if not, don’t fear, we can do much better!

2. Straps: Spaghetti vs. Wider – Many tops and dresses, especially in the summer have straps rather than sleeves which is a wonderful way to show more skin and keep cool. Not without pitfalls however. Take a look below at the spaghetti strap camisole (left) and the wider strapped tank top (right).



The straps on the cami are too small in contrast with my upper body and end up actually making me look bigger (there is a lot of real estate there!). Though spaghetti straps are quite feminine in nature, a better choice is the wider straps of the tank top which have enough width to break up the line of my shoulders a bit. This can also hold true with halter-tops as well… a halter-top will more likely be flattering if its straps are wider (cover more of the chest as they run up around the neck).

3. Scoop Neck – A more figure friendly alternative to the crew neck is the scoop neck, which is generally wider and extends further down. By dropping down through the shoulder line, the scoop neckline breaks up the line and makes it look like the line is narrower.  Take a look…



Another brilliant bit of help for narrowing the shoulders on this top is the raglan cut sleeves. Raglan sleeves (also called “baseball sleeves” sometimes) run all the way up to the collar and in doing so fool the eye into extending the line of the arm further up. The sleeves themselves are darker which beautifully deemphasizes the shoulders, highlighting the bust area. Careful with raglan sleeves that are brighter as they may have the opposite effect. 

4. V-Neck – If you haven’t heard by now, the V-Neck is the most universally flattering neckline out there. The “v” shape cuts the shoulder line like the scoop neck and offers a flattering framing for the face, which helps deemphasize the jaw-line as well.



The “V” can also be a great way to showcase both cleavage (if you are blessed with any) and a beautiful Décolletage (the classy French way of saying the upper part of a woman’s torso or collarbone. Derived from a word meaning “to reveal the neck”)

If you’re ever in doubt or just starting to build a wardrobe, go with a V-Neck.

5. Cowl Neck – A look that is popularly found in sweaters and sweater dresses, Cowl neck, come in all shapes and sizes. This is a style I adore, especially as fall is approaching. As you might imagine, the effect of the cowl neckline changes depending on what form it takes.  Shown below are two dramatically different cowl neck styles. Let’s take a look:



The dark green top (left) is a very subtle cowl that basically ends up having the same effect as a scoop neck or v-neck, just adds a bit more style. The camel sweater dress (right) has a much larger neck with quite a bit of extra fabric around the neck (almost scarf-like). How does piling a bundle of fabric around our necks help our shoulders? You may ask. The effect is two-fold (pun intended)… For one, it draws focus up around the neck and towards the face, essentially distracting the eye from the shoulders (since they’re not the interesting part). Secondly, one way to make something look smaller by comparison is to put something large near it… I’m sure there are situations where this is a terrible principle, but for the same reason wearing large statement jewelry works this works too.

6. Boat-Neck – Characterized by a wide but shallow line across the shoulders, the boat neckline gets its name from appearing like the bottom of a boat. The effect tends to be the opposite of what we want in that it accentuates and lengthens the width of the shoulders. I was actually surprised that I found an example of this in my wardrobe.



Admittedly, the dress shown does not have a very exaggerated boat neck and makes a bit of a poor example. The wider the boat-neck, the more unflattering it will likely be. In general avoid boat-necks.

7. Turtle-Neck – While they may be wonderful at concealing an Adam’s apple, turtlenecks typically are not the best option for necklines when it comes to broad shoulders. They tend to shorten the neck, while tight fits accentuate the true lines of the body underneath (not surprisingly).



This top isn’t quite a true turtleneck, but was the closest I had. One might argue that it is a baby cowl neck. The cut of the sleeves here also helps reduce the shoulder line. Not the best, but again I think I’ve gotten away with it on the virtue of being blessed with smaller shoulders.

8. Strapless/Tube Top – I find that the strapless look, though sexy, is very difficult to pull off given a typical transgender body shape. I do not own any strapless clothing at the moment, though would like to experiment in the future, especially as my body shape continues to change. As far as shoulders go, this look will leave them totally exposed, and in most cases “featured” which is not necessarily a bad thing but requires some fashion nuance to pull off. . One easy way to ensure a strapless look is flattering would be to simply wear a sweater or shawl over it. I recommend against it, unless you are braver and more fashion savvy.

9. Everything else – Square, keyhole, off-shoulder, asymmetrical, sweetheart and any others I didn’t mention all follow the same basic concepts to determine whether or not they’re flattering that we’ve discussed. Feel free to experiment and find what works for you! Variety is the spice of life J

As we can see with my examples, these rules are definitely not hard and fast. A neckline is only one variable in a myriad of possibilities, however understanding what effects a particular look may have is important to ensuring a flattering image. Remember that the cut of sleeves has been mentioned several times and also plays an important role in minimizing shoulders, hopefully I can talk more about sleeves in the future. Here is a quick recap of what we’ve learned:

  1. Crew-neck: Generally not flattering, but good for layers, being witty
  2. Straps: Wider is better
  3. Scoop-neck: Flattering, go for it!
  4. V-neck: Very flattering, should be a go to look.
  5. Cowl-neck: Surprisingly also flattering, nice variety
  6. Boat-neck: avoid
  7. Turtle-neck: avoid
  8. Strapless: avoid, though not impossible

Remember too that shoulders are only one piece of the puzzle, so one must also consider what a neckline choice helps/hinders in a full outfit as well. 

21 comments:

  1. Wonderfull post. I am female with broad shoulders and this is the best article I have found on how to dress them.

    Wish you every success and happiness through your journey.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the well wishes Dee :) I'm happy that you found the info here helpful!

      Delete
    2. Agree! I am a female with wide shoulders as well and this is by far the best article! Thank you sooo much :)

      Delete
  2. This might come off as odd, but not meant to be rude - I am also a female and I ended up here through a search on how to dress wide shoulders. I didn't really read and just browsed through the photos...all I see was a pretty girl. :) It was only when I read the comment above that I read about you. Let me just say, you not only gave excellent advice, but you are transitioning beautifully. You look lovely.
    Best wishes to you!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seconded - I didn't even realize until I got to the end. You look beautiful! I'm female and also found your page looking for ways to de-emphasize my (what I feel are) broad shoulders...this is the best article I've come across. Thank you and best wishes!

      Emily

      Delete
    2. Ditto, ditto, ditto! Best of luck!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to comment Robyn and Emily! I always appreciate hearing when people find the info to be helpful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Congratulations and thank you Kayci for the useful post. I'm a ciswoman but this is the best post I've found on broad shoulders, and you're beautiful, by the way, your smile is so adorable! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this. I'm a girl with broad shoulders, and while prom is months away, I started freaking out about what to look for in a dress because of my shoulders. My past two homecoming dresses revealed a lot of shoulder (one was strapless, the other had spaghetti straps) and looking at my pictures I realized that I didn't look as glamorous as I had hoped. But your article is a real life-saver, so thank you so much! You look lovely, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this post!!! I'm a broad-shouldered cis woman with a terrible fashion sense :D and this is the best article I've found on necklines for broad shoulders, especially because you used pictures of yourself for every look: Most of the other articles had pictures of different models for each look, so not only could you not compare, most of them looked photoshopped (elongated necks etc.) - Thank you so much for a really helpful post and for modelling all the different necklines yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also wanted to say thanks Kayci, I too came here as a fashion-failure ciswoman looking for advice on how to properly deal with my swimmer's shoulders. Great helpful info, the photos really helped get your point across :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you, this blog is really helpful. more power to you kayci.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post was super informative, thanks for writing/photographing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This article (especially with all the pictures for comparison) has been so helpful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm another appreciative woman with broad shoulders. The modeling of the different necklines was great. As an aside I also have to say your color choices for your skin tone are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! I am a very broad shouldered and big busted woman and I'm trying to dress a bit nicer for my body shape. I had a hard time finding a good comparison of necklines for broad shoulders and this was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, i just chanced upon your blog while searching for necklines which suit broad shoulders and this is such an informative article! Thank you!!
    Modelling all the different necklines from pieces of your wardrobe helped me identify with my own clothes and avoid what does not work at all!!
    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OP: Thx fer the great article...

    Dear commenters: Pointing out that you are "a woman" implies the OP is something other than a woman. Say, "I am a natal woman."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for this post. I know it's old but it is perfect. I always have a tough time shopping for my wide shoulders paired with small bust. This definitely will help me avoid wasting time trying on types I know will not flatter. The images perfectly illustrate the concepts. I was already starting to get the hang of this, but this post completely solidified my thinking

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for this post!! you look lovely and this was very informative :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very good post! Thanks. Btw, you look good!

    ReplyDelete