Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Reader Questions - Part 1


Here is the first batch of reader submitted questions… I love answer questions and will do my best to find the answers to anything I don’t know (such service!). Hopefully my answers are helpful!

“Where do you find cute and stylish comfortable shoes that you can walk in for more than 5 minutes?” - Sarah

High heels can definitely be a pain in the foot, especially if you’re not used to them or on your feet for any good amount of time. My strategy is typically to avoid stilettos or anything above 3”  unless its really a special occasion (I know, I’m a party pooper!). The wider/larger (not taller!) a heel the easier and more comfortable they’ll be to walk in because the shoe gives your foot more support. I tend to wear those styles more often. Also, they make many different pads to slip under your foot that give an extra cushion to make heels much more bearable… here’s one from Dr. Scholls. Finally, you can also try the old “bait and switch”, bring a pair of ballet slipper style flats with you in your purse and then switch to those if your feet hurt or you end up having to do more walking than planned. Again, Dr. Scholls to the rescue (there are many other brands and styles out there too), I’ve seen these at walmart and many other stores… they’re cheap and compact, perfect to stick in a purse. 

“I am looking for lipsticks that don't leave a pink shadow when you want to go back to boy mode. Pink lips are lovely when in a dress but not so good at the office!”
 – Cindy

Well, I’m certainly not a makeup connoisseur, however I can answer this one for you. It actually has much less to do with the lipstick itself and more with the condition of your lips. Dry lips will absorb lipstick more readily, so be sure to keep them moist with chapstick or balm as much as is possible. This should help at least reduce the problem. Another trick to try is to put foundation or concealer over your lips prior to apply lipstick, I’ve never done this myself but have heard it can work well. In that case the foundation absorbs the pigment rather than your lips and when you’re done… viola it all comes off together! (or so the theory goes).

“How about [posting] a list of do’s and dont’s for nail polish... its something I havent seen done yet.” - Amanda

I found a list of links a while back, pretty much anything you could want about the "how to's" of apply and being creative with nail polish... as for the style... it's all a matter of personal taste. Personally I love the look of a nice classic, clean French manicure and I’m not a big fan of crazy bright colors, however that can be fun too! It’s all what you enjoy, just make sure its appropriate to your situation. Pinterest has a million crazy ideas for unique nails so check it out if you are ever in need of inspiration.


“I fell in love with and just purchase a pair of brown boots. All my other ones were black. I have no problem coordinating shoes with outfits but how does one decide with it comes with boots if you should wear brown or black? Is there any rules you have?” – Stephanie

There really isn't a particular "rule" to decide when to wear what, both are basically neutral colors. It also depends largely on what else you are wearing. One thing to consider is the color of whatever you are wearing on the bottom half of your body... if you match the colors, say black boots with something else black (leggings for example) this keeps the line of the leg intact, if you use different colors it'll divide the height of the leg up, potentially making your legs look shorter. That is not the end of the world though, just make sure the shoe color makes sense with the rest of the outfit.



 My personal tastes usually pair brown boots with more casual looks and/or earth tone colors because that is a color scheme I use a lot (also, my brown boots are a more casual style). Black boots can sometimes be very "heavy" visually because they are so dark, so balancing that out with other black pieces in an outfit is usually what I aim to do.

A big thank you to everyone who submitted questions!
If you have a question about anything feel free to send it in via:

A Stylish Transition” on Facebook
or
Email me directly: astylishtransition@gmail.com

Hope my answers have been helpful and that I’ll hear more questions from everyone in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment